It’s tough right now, maybe the toughest it’s been for us Victorians. We’ve done lockdowns before but this time it’s different because in a way it feels like there’s no light at the end of this tunnel. That sounds very doom and gloom, I know, but it’s the sentiment that I’m hearing (and feeling myself) every time I connect with a lawyer these days. Morale is low, productivity is waning, and “it is what it is” – the verbal equivalent of the shrug – has officially become the catchphrase of 2021.
So, what can we do to give us back some of our b-b-bounce? While baking s
ourdough or banana bread is great (and delicious), and hitting your daily steps goal is awesome, the pressure to be productive during your spare time in lockdown can be a little overwhelming (and sometimes unrealistic, particularly if you have little ones at home).
I think we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to use our spare time wisely, to do something productive. But perhaps we should focus on using our spare time nicely. That is, do something nice for yourself. Be selfish, its underrated and important
If you need a dash of inspiration, here’s a list of things you can do just for you:
- Get some Vitamin D, even if its 5 mins a day, step outside or to your nearest north facing window, close your eyes and photosynthesize.
- Go for a walk – not to get your steps up or to count exercise points, but just for the pure, rejuvenating joy of a change of scenery.
- Pick up the phone and call a friend – while socialising can seem oh-so-exhausting right now, having a social conversation can be surprisingly invigorating.
- Send a friend a small gift (think flowers, gelato, a book) to brighten their day and hopefully get some good karma coming your way
- Treat yourself to a bath or shower session – candles, playlist, bath salts, the works! Or if that’s a wee bit fanciful given your personal circumstances (read: children), make it a couch session and a bit of a scroll on social media.
- Play with your pet
- Try your hand at an adult colouring book (don’t knock it til you try it)
- Get a coffee (or 3!)
If you need a bit of a circuit breaker to reboot and recharge, bloody do it, because we’re all running a lit low on juice these days and these little things help. In times like this, when we’re prone to feeling blah and blue, take the guilty out of guilty pleasure. You do you and look after yourself!